Monday, June 16, 2014

Weekend happenings

This weekend:

-we visited the farmers market.  Bought a flat of marigolds to add some sunshine to my vegetable garden.  There's just something about a border of cheerful marigolds around a green veggie bed. 
Also, it's super nice to visit the market as a shopper instead of a vendor.  Don't get me wrong, I love my little business, and I love selling at farmers markets.  But it's nice to enjoy the market as a shopper. 

-My handsome and handy husband built trellises for my garden.  The squash are getting HUGE, and needed something to keep their unruly nature just a bit in control. 

-hooked some colorful washcloths.  More to come on those soon.

-visited the library with Jo.  It's one of her favorite things to do.  We chose an armful of books for the next week, and read a few while we were there.  She likes the beginner reader books, with only a few words that she can quickly memorize.  Then, she pretends to read them to me.  I love to watch her grow more independent every day, but at the same time I just want her to stay little.  So I am soaking every minute of her little-ness, well aware that it will soon be gone. 

-canned strawberry jam and bread and butter pickles.  Oh how the smell of fresh cucumbers, sweet onions, vinegar, and pickling spices brings me right back to my Grandma Helen's kitchen!  She would make bread and butter pickles every year, dozens and dozens of jars.  It's one of the many tasty gifts from her kitchen that we would all look forward to every year, and that we now miss so much.  This is my first year attempting to fill her pickle-making shoes, and I hope I do her memory justice with my attempt.

Today I have a long, fun list of homekeeping activities to attend to, between playing, reading, and snuggling with my little Josephine.  She is such a ray of sunshine in our lives.  But all of that can wait a few more hours.  First, I'm going to enjoy the peace of this beautiful morning, spend a few minutes absorbing the quiet before I begin my day.  Enjoy your Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment